As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast since 2018, I have always wanted to build a more personal layout that would precisely fit my needs. So, in 2020, Covid-19 was striking hard in Europe, and with Portugal on a complete lockdown, I decided this would be an excellent opportunity to create my first keyboard.
My approach when developing new projects is to be focused on solving minor user problems and challenges, and I define those upfront and work from there.
For ClackX Alpha, I tried to address the following points:
- Personalised 65% layout
- Ability to switch switches easily (I planned to have this board to test or break in switches / also suitable for newcomers).
- Ability to control media players more easily on the keyboard.
- Facilitate the usability of layers with QMK
- Provide a more "bouncy" and soft typing experience
- Avoid having a high-price
After multiple rounds of feedback and prototypes, each topic was addressed independently and led to the project that I'm presenting here on this page.
I hope you enjoy my first creation and have the opportunity to use it.